Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Film Critique: "Thanks for Sharing"


Although the trailer for this film looked so good that I ended up buying it on bluray before having watched it, I really didn’t expect it be as good as it was.


As this is my first (of many) film critiques, I should mention the spoiler alert. Please do not continue reading if you have not seen the film and would not like for it to be spoiled. This is not an ad style critique designed to get you to see or not to see the movie but just a discussion of my thoughts and experience with it.

Now, on to Thanks For Sharing. The all star cast was a big motivator for me to want to see it. Mark Ruffalo, Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim Robbins, Joely Richardson, and Patrick Fugit never disappoint but also Josh Gad. He’s becoming one of my favorites. He does such a great job with the roles he’s played, big or small; 21, Jobs, Love and Other Drugs, and even The Rocker. I’m really liking this guy. Even Pink kind of nailed it in this film. I don’t mean to sound so surprised, it’s just that pop music stars tend to be hit and miss when they crossover to film. Justin Timberlake is the best example of someone whose music I can’t really stand but has turned into an amazing actor. I’m to the point that I’m genuinely excited to see his name on cast lists but sadly most of these pop stars end up crap actors. Pink, I’m happy to report, definitely nailed it. Her part in this film was natural, believable, likeable, and generally impressive.

Those of you who my taste in movies, will know the most important element that can make or break a film for me is themes. I love all aspects of filmmaking: writing, directing, casting, actors performances, character development, etc. But the top element I think should be considered is the theme. Thanks for Sharing had most of my favorite themes: sacrifice, father/son relationships, love, determination, and change. I wasn’t sure how much of the film I would connect to since it’s based on characters in addiction recovery. I used to think I had an addictive personality so I avoided alcohol, drugs, tattoos, etc. but speaking to friends who have real, life altering addictions, I realize my experience is nothing like theirs. I especially have never attended a recovery meeting like the characters in this film.

One of my favorite parts of this movie were little moments like on Adam and Phoebe’s first date when they established signs for when they were joking and when they were telling the truth. Watching their immediate connection inspired hope that I could have that someday, however improbable. It’s nice to honestly feel that hope, if only for a second. I think with the world’s current state of skepticism, filmmakers have to go so above and beyond to get the audience to feel that genuine hope. I don’t envy that, despite my hope and effort to become a filmmaker; or to become a professional singer/songwriter, for that matter. I also liked all the moments of Neil running around. Not because it’s fun to watch overweight people run but because I think it shows an interesting side of his character. Like the first time sees Dede outside of the meetings, the fact that he would run as far as he does, despite the shape he’s in, shows his commitment to helping others. This is immediately followed by their conversation about a supreme being and how it doesn’t have to be a beard guy in the sky. It could be as simple as serving others, anything that’s bigger than ourselves. Neil’s character growth was one of the most interesting story arcs in this movie.

Even though the writing (especially the dialogue), the performances, the set design, the themes, the story, the cinematography, etc. were all excellent, I do have to admit that the one element of this movie that took it from an ‘good, but only slightly above average’ movie was the soundtrack. The music in this film really impressed me. All the songs were so simplistic, yet perfect in their role in this film. As someone like Hans Zimmer would attest to, the best soundtracks are ones that are so subtle and perfectly written for their films are ones you don’t really conscious think about (unless you are a musician or someone that obsessed). Music role in film is to create mood and texture and to really support the story. If you “notice” the music without the filmmakers intent, generally that means it’s the wrong music for what you are watching. Thanks for Sharing’s soundtrack was so perfect. I found myself feeling things I didn’t expect to, especially to the subject matter in those scenes. I’ve never felt what it is like to attractive a woman as beautiful as Gwyneth Paltrow then to lose her. I don’t know what it’s like to be clear of an addiction for other 5 years then to succumb to the temptation. I don’t know what it’s like to go to school for 8+ years for my career then to lose it all in a most of no control. I don’t know what it’s like to have a dad who’s completely lost faith in me as a human, nor to be that dad. But because the soundtrack was so perfect, my experience watching this movie makes me feel like I could at least describe these things with some level of relatable clarity. Well done Christopher Lennertz. You were a welcome surprise. I also want to say Bravo to the rest of the cast and crew on this film. It was extremely well made and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment