Sunday, September 9, 2012

New song: "Stay"

I’ve been really depressed lately. That’s not something I would usually announce online but it warrants my wonderful experience yesterday. For at least the past 2-3 weeks I’ve been depressed. I haven’t been this depressed in years. It was more than the "left by someone I love", "stressed at work", "music career gaining no traction", kind of depression but the real deal. Yesterday, I wrote a song and the depression went away. Completely. It was weird. As soon as I was done concentrating on writing I noticed the weight on my heart had lifted and I felt great. I'm not saying songwriting solves all problems, I've just yet to find one it can't solve. :)


I wasn’t even depressed about the subject matter I wrote about. I was just learning a couple Bon Iver songs and found a hook I enjoyed. The lyrics just started coming out. I couldn’t let it pass me up so I grabbed the nearest pen and paper and let it flow. You got to strike while the iron's hot.

"The Muse will always be the lead. You can never summon it. You can never make an appointment with it. It either comes or it doesn't and when comes, you consider yourself damn lucky."
-Glen Hansard

The subject matter was something I’ve been wanting to write for some time now. Earlier this year I fell in love in a dream. I figure if Paul McCartney can write “Yesterday” in a dream, I can surely fall in love. It may have helped that I dated the girl off and on in past. The dream was amazing. We spent a couple days together and it paralleled reality at several points. At the end of the dream we decided to start our life together and I had never been so happy, in a dream or reality. Naturally, I then woke up and couldn’t move. I have never wanted to swap reality with fantasy more in my life. I figured if I just laid there hoping and praying that waking up late for work was the dream and I could eventually go back to her. Needless to say, it wasn’t. But I was still in love with her. It didn’t work out but still to this day I remember every detail of the dream so I wrote this song. It presents the relationship between dreams and reality with a longing for the former but also tells the story of what happened in the dream. I very pleased with it. Hopefully you can hear it soon but in the meantime, here are the lyrics:

STAY

Once again you fall asleep
Sprawled half way off my bed
I pick you up to tuck you in

Startled awake from a bad dream
Fight or flight in your eyes
Until you see that it is me

You wrap your arms so tight around my neck

Pulled me close into my bed
Settled in for the night
I guess I won’t sleep on the couch

Wake me up with a kiss
Spent all morning in my bed
I fell in love with you again

In this moment, I’ve never felt so alive

                Chorus
People say that dreams are dreams
Doesn’t matter what they mean
I just can’t live that way
Waking up is like a death
Leaving where I’d rather live
Why can’t I just stay? …at least a while?

That night, dinner with the fam
So nice and interesting
Like you want to be a part

Now we’re sitting eye to eye
No more games, no more lies
It’s time for our life to begin

Now I know what all my pain offsets

Chorus

Bridge

Chorus

People say I can’t see
All the joy in front of me
I just can’t live that way

Waking up brings the pain
No strength left for the day
Why can’t I just stay? …at least a while?

No comments:

Post a Comment